You know what really makes me want to make a punch-you-in-your face pie? People who choose to be ignorant and stubborn. Do you really need to go through an experience yourself to find out that you don't like it? Or can you watch others go through a certain experience, look at facts, do research, talk to many professionals about that experience, and take their word for it? Do you guys want to know what I am talking about? I bet you do.
Hi, my name is Lauren Curleyhair, and I want to be a birth doula. Don't know what a birth doula is? OH well here, let me start with a definition.
A labor doula or birth doula- is someone (often trained, though this is not required) who provides non-medical and non-midwifery support (physical and emotional) to a woman leading up to and during her labor and delivery. A labor doula may attend a woman having a home birth or a woman laboring at home before transporting to a hospital or a birth center, where she will continue her support. They do not perform clinical duties such as heart rate checks or vaginal exams, or give medical advice. Labor doulas rely on techniques like massage and position changes to help women through labor. Many offer phone and email support as well as prenatal and postpartum visits to ensure the mother is informed and supported. The terms of a labor/birth doula's responsibilities are decided between the doula and the family. Doulas serve as advocates of their client's wishes and may communicate with medical staff to help the client make informed decisions. The doula is also an ally for the father or partner, who may have little experience with the labor process. Many fathers and partners experience birth as an emotional journey and find it hard to be objective.[citation needed] A responsible doula supports and encourages the father or partner in their support style rather than replacing them.
Hi, my name is Lauren Curleyhair, and I want to be a birth doula. Don't know what a birth doula is? OH well here, let me start with a definition.
A labor doula or birth doula- is someone (often trained, though this is not required) who provides non-medical and non-midwifery support (physical and emotional) to a woman leading up to and during her labor and delivery. A labor doula may attend a woman having a home birth or a woman laboring at home before transporting to a hospital or a birth center, where she will continue her support. They do not perform clinical duties such as heart rate checks or vaginal exams, or give medical advice. Labor doulas rely on techniques like massage and position changes to help women through labor. Many offer phone and email support as well as prenatal and postpartum visits to ensure the mother is informed and supported. The terms of a labor/birth doula's responsibilities are decided between the doula and the family. Doulas serve as advocates of their client's wishes and may communicate with medical staff to help the client make informed decisions. The doula is also an ally for the father or partner, who may have little experience with the labor process. Many fathers and partners experience birth as an emotional journey and find it hard to be objective.[citation needed] A responsible doula supports and encourages the father or partner in their support style rather than replacing them.
I have gone to a lot of birth meetings, birth circle, and bellies meetings, that have women talk about their experiences, questions, answers, support etc..
I know what I want. I knew what I wanted when I saw my sister have her baby at home. It was beautiful. It was calm, it was in water, and it made me burst into tears with joy. NO one can erase what I have learned, I love learning about newlife, and the process of birth. I think it is interesting that womens bodies are so down played when talking about birth. I think we can handle more than doctors, or society tells us we can. I know I can handle it. I have already made my decision. Water, home, natural, with my midwife and my husband right by my side.
I haven't started the classes yet, but this is what I want to be, and how I want to have my birth be, who says I can't make the decision now?. There are some people who say "Oh just wait til you have your first baby, then you will change your mind" "You don't know what you want until your in the situation"..
I call SHINANAGINS!! first of all. When I make a decision, im no flip-flop. yeah. its going to hurt, duh! never really been a fan of pain relievers for cramps anyway. I am strong, and I know it. I know that it will probably be harder than I think. But its all worth it. Its worth it to have my baby come out the healthiest it can be.
2 comments:
Yay Lauren! Like I said before people that didn't do their homework and winged it are going to hate seeing someone who prepared and did their homework before hand. It is called informed consent. Knowing that you have options.
Just because you have had a baby doesn't mean you know everything about it. There is always more to learn.
I think it is great that you want to be a birth doula. I really think you will be wonderful :)
You're a total babe and I love how you can set your mind to something and be so amazingly strong. I want to be like you. . . except I think I might not be able to truly have a baby without meds!!! ha! I'll definitely try though! I love what you stand for. You seriously are fabulous. And I loved your Halloween pictures. :)
Post a Comment