Saturday, July 25, 2009

i think one of the hardest lessons for me to learn is..

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent- Eleanor Roosevelt

For a long time- practically my whole life, I've been really sensitive to what other people think about me and really, its crap. I don't try to be, thats just how it was for me for a long time. People thought it was okay to treat me like crap- cuz, i would let them. Sounds silly. But i did..
for example:
My govt teacher in my senior year of highschool would looooovve to embarrass me in class, make me look stupid etc... I got so hurt one day, i actually left class one day and went to the seminary building and just cried. i didn't understand why I was the one he liked to do that to, considering I was trying my best in that class, and only got a c.He made me feel horrible about myself, made the classmates think i was stupid. I wasnt stupid. he was just mean. I ran into that quote by eleanor roosevelt, and i was like.. whhat!? its MY fault that he makes me feel crappy??- but really, truly, honestly. It was. it was me.
So One particular day we were reviewing for a test, and he was just reallly on my case- like everything i did was just in a fishbowl. I got really upset, and then i thought about that quote. and i was just thinkin... "Im not going to let him get satisfaction, by saying these things" and for some reason- i didnt let it bother me.. i even wrote it on one of my homework assignments so he could see it.
I've tried to use that in everyday life. Dont let people effect the way you feel- you should be in control, you are in control.

I just thought i should share this, cuz i have a friend who is havin a hard time with people who try to make her feel crappy- so this is for you.

i love you guys:)

4 comments:

IronLawGirl said...

I've got a crazy story like that about a s-t-u-p-i-d teacher at BYU who totally made me cry and gave me a C-! Totally brought down my GPA. I'll have to tell you about it.

Tawnya said...

Good reminder!

Hillarie Sandberg said...

Lauren-
You are fabulous and I love you so much, I could not ask for a better little sister! You make me smile when I feel like frowning and this post really was what I needed to read today so thank you! I hardly ever let anyone make me feel down but when I do it is a stupid boy who doesnt deserve me anyways, instead of being sad I am now choosing to say to myself, "what a relief that these men that don't deserve me are being complete jerks, it will make finding the right guy so much more exciting" ;)

Suget said...

thanks for the quote.
i do not like or care for teachers who don't treat people the way they should be treated. but I am glad you were the better person of it and didn't give in.